Argan oil hair treatment procedures can result in a wonderfully appealing hair. Well at least that is according to many testimonials online. In this post I dive in to present the many benefits of argan oil on hair without ignoring the inevitable side effects it has on the users. I further present before and after results as reported by the users of this magical moroccan oil.
What is Argan (Moroccan) Oil?
Argan oil (Moroccan oil) is oil derived from a native tree fruit found in Argan Forest, located in the North African country, Morocco. Nuts are found inside these fruits which contain the oil. For many years – dating as back as 600 BC, the natives of the Argan forest (known as Phoenicians) used this oil for healing purpose and also to enhance bodily beauty.
These natives used to extract this precious oil from nuts and used for healing wounds and as a dietary supplement as well as skin and hair nourishment.
Argan oil has amazing properties and is a better alternative to the conventional expensive hair products found in cosmetic shops. Even though 100% argan oil could be expensive, you only need to use just a little of the oil, hence lasting for a long time and providing excellent value compared to the pricey store-bought hair products.
Is Argan Oil Good for Hair?
In a real sense, argan oil hair treatment is very good and beneficial for your hair and as such it is often used to treat hair. This oil is good because it is high in vitamin A, C and E and also contains essential elements such as omega 6 fatty acids, linoleic and antioxidants.
Vitamin E, which is found in large quantities in argan oil, is beneficial for the growth of hair. It also has tremendous natural properties which are beneficial for irritating skin and dandruff plagued scalps. It is also high in natural phenols used to nourish hair follicles.
External application of argan oil can help in boosting production of cells and result in healthier, thick and good looking hair. This explains why argan oil is a common ingredient in high end beauty products.
Benefits of Argan Oil for Hair Treatment
There are several benefits of using the argan oil hair treatment as listed below.
- Hair Conditioner – Argan oil hair treatment is the most ideal agent for hair conditioning because of its ability to make hair silkier, softer and shinier. It is also used to tame frizzy hair and for treatment of split ends.
- Shiny and sleek styling – Argan oil hair treatment also used as a styling agent because of its ability to tame frizz hair thus making them look shiny and glowing in appearance.
- Treating dry and brittle hair – Moroccan oil is an effective hair conditioning agent for dry and brittle.
- Protecting hair from flat irons and blow dry heat – Contrary to many other styling agents capable of causing damage to the hair as a result of many chemicals they contain, argan oil helps to repair hair damages by enriching and nourishing it with nutrients.
- Eliminating dry scalp and dandruff – With vitamin E and antioxidants, argan oil hair treatment is vital in fighting dry scalp and dandruff as it makes a great moisturizer. Essential fatty acids found in this oil also help in preventing skin dryness and inflammation.
- Prevent frizz and repair split ends – when used as a leave in conditioner, Moroccan oil can be effective in taming frizz and flyways and also helps in repairing split ends.
- Protecting hair during swimming – There are various chemicals in salty sea water and swimming pools such as chlorine which can have devastating effects on your hair. Applying a few drops of Moroccan oil can help protect your hair from harmful chemicals.
- Preventing loss of hair – Hair loss is a common problem in many people – both men and women. Great news is that argan oil hair treatment can be excellently agent for preventing and stopping loss of hair and even promoting the growth of new hair.
- Defining curls – Moroccan oil is ideal for people with curls because it helps in defining curls besides making them look stronger and manageable thus providing a beautiful appearance.
- Sun protection – Applying a few drops of Moroccan oil to your hair will help to prevent hair damage caused by the sun.
Side Effects of Argan Oil Hair Treatment
Even though the side effects are very rare because it is well tolerated by most individuals, argan oil hair treatment can cause a number of health problems in some people. Possible side effects include:
- Skin Rashes – users may experience skin rashes after using the oil for about 1 month
- Excessive Itching – the oil may cause bothersome itching among the users
- Redness-irritation of skin – some people have reported their skin turned red after applying the oil
- Allergic Reactions – the skin irritations may be due to the allergies caused by the oil
- Difficulty Breathing – in some people the use of argan oil may result into side effects such as difficulty in breathing. This may necessitate urgent medical attention
How to use Argan Oil for Hair Treatment
Argan oil is used as an agent for treating hair before washing, after washing, as shampoo oil and also as styling agent. It is necessary to know and understand how you should use argan oil hair for hair treatment because it will help in reducing and even preventing the risk of developing health problems.
In addition, proper use of argan oil hair treatment also helps the user to experience positive long lasting results.
Treatment before Washing
Treatment before washing is also known as pre-wash treatment. The process involved is:
- Pour some pure argan oil on the palm of your hand about 30- 60 minutes prior to taking a shower or bathing.
- Use your fingertips to massage the oil to the scalp,
- Using the palm of your hand, spread the oil throughout the hair.
- After that, use a brush or a comb to distribute the oil evenly in the hair from the roots to the tips.
In order to improve the effect of treatment using argan oil, it is important to your wrap oiled hair into a hot warm cotton towel or any piece of cloth for about 30 minutes before undertaking thorough shampooing and hair washing.
Pure argan oil is an efficient and effective cure for people experiencing extra dryness, damaged or frizzy hair.
Treatment after Washing
In order to use argan oil hair treatment in post wash treatment, you are required:
- Blow dry or cotton towel your hair first
- Apply a small amount of pure oil to hair
- Thoroughly comb through it using your fingers or a brush – this should start at the ends in order to get rid of hair frizz.
- This process will result in a wet, fresh, healthy and pretty looking hair with excellent luster and with brilliance appearance.
The hair will look much better than any other conventional gel for hair in the market. You also have the option of adding a few drops of pure argan oil to your daily conditioner and in case you notice that you are using more than the required oil, rinsing your hair will help to reduce the oily effect a little.
Argan Oil as Shampoo
Using argan oil hair treatment as shampoo involves applying it in similar manner just like a normal shampoo with no addition of extra steps.
- The normal process of shampoo is to cleanse the hair as it removes grease, dirt, sweat, skin scale and other dirty and prepares the hair for subsequent process such as blow dry.
- Argan oil can be used in shampoo just like normal ones. You should also not worry about the correct amount of oil to use in shampoo.
- This method is ideal and will ensure that your hair is strong and well-nourished with an enhanced look.
Argan Oil as Styling Agent
Argan oil hair treatment can be used in styling your hair in a hurry to generate incredible solution. This agent improves the softness and strength of hair. This gives it an immediate gloss and is also a great way of taming frizzy hair.
The styling process is easy and simple just like leave in conditioner. Here, the hair does not have to be wet. The process is:
- Start by rubbing a few drops of pure argan oil in palms
- Comb through a cross your dry hair to ensure it is evenly distributed.
- Massage into the tip and scalp to enhance healthy scalp and to encourage the growth of hair and treatment of split ends.
- Avoid using too much of argan oil to facilitate easy absorption and little wastage of the oil in the process of styling.
- Using this agent in styling will make your hair manageable besides adding to a glowing and shining hair.
Argan Oil as Face and Hair Mask
Argan oil hair treatment can also be achieved through the use of a hair mask. You read the article on how to use argan oil hair mask for deep insights on the same. You may also read how to use argan oil as a face mask.
References and Sources
- NATURAL LIVING: http://www.naturallivingideas.com/argan-oil-for-hair/
- ARGAN FARM: https://www.arganfarm.com/argan-oil-uses/pure-argan-oil-hair-treatment/
- ARGAN OIL WORLD: http://arganoilworld.com